Hario V60 Brew Guide
What you'll need:
- 22 grams of specialty-grade whole bean coffee
- Filtered water
- Gooseneck kettle
- V60 cone & filter
- Mug or carafe
- Burr grinder
1) Fold V60 filter and insert into cone, rinse and pre-wet filter with hot water into serving carafe or cup; discard hot papery water.
2) Grind size: table salt. Flatten coffee bed. Zero scale.
3) Start timer. Pour about 60-70 grams of water into the coffee bed, circling or spiraling fairly rapidly. Get all the coffee wet!! Gently stir.
4) At 0:35, pour small circles in the center of the wet coffee bed until the total mass reaches 215 grams (1:00).
5) At 1:15, pour small circles in the center until the total mass reaches 300 grams (1:33).
6) At 1:45, pour small circles in the center until the total mass reaches 372 grams.
7) Swirl entire brewer to wash any grounds that have gotten stuck to the filter back into the wet coffee bed. Final brew time should be 2:50-3:10. Adjust grind size to adjust taste.
A terrific V60 short and sweet technique video by Matt Perger: