Chemex Brew Guide
What you'll need:
- 21 grams of specialty-grade whole bean coffee
- Filtered water
- Gooseneck kettle
- Chemex & filter
- Burr grinder
2) Grind size: table salt (perhaps just slightly coarser than V60 but definitely not by much, finer than auto-drip). Flatten coffee bed (by hand/spoon or gentle shaking or tapping). Zero scale.
3) Start timer. Pour about 60-70 grams of water into the coffee bed,
circling/spiraling fairly rapidly. Get all the coffee wet!! Stir gently.
4) At 0:35-45, start pouring circles in the center of the wet coffee bed until the total mass reaches 200 grams (at 1:00 or earlier).
5) At 1:30, pour small circles in center. Stop at 374 grams (1:55). Swirl entire brewer to wash any grounds on the filter walls back into the wet coffee bed. Total brew time will vary wildly depending on the quality of your grinder and which particular coffee you are using. It may range from 3:00-4:30 or possibly even outside that range. Adjust grind size to adjust taste (do not target a specific brew time).